This happened to me a few years ago, and I still get chills every time I think about it.

I agreed to watch my nieces and nephew for my brother and his wife at their house since they had to be out of town for the day. My nephew and one niece had school that morning, but my other niece was only 4 so she stayed home with me. We spent the morning watching cartoons and coloring until it was finally time for her nap.

She was lying down on the couch, so I tucked her in with a blanket, making sure she was completely cocooned in the blanket all nice and cozy. I turned the volume on the TV down till I could barely hear it, taking care not to wake her up, and went into the kitchen to work on my math homework.

I’m really short (only 4’10) - my feet often don’t touch the ground when I’m sitting down, so I tend to sort of swing my feet absentmindedly when I’m sitting. As I sat at the kitchen table looking at my laptop and swinging my feet, I kick something. I assumed it must have been the leg of another chair, so I move my foot back. As I go to move that leg again, I feel something touch higher up on my leg, almost up to my knee. I jerk myself back in the chair and look under the table, and there’s nothing there that would’ve been close to my knee. I brush it off and get back to my homework.

About 15 minutes later I hear the little pitter patter of small feet in the next room. Assuming my niece had woken up and was trying to be sneaky, I walked into the living room and was surprised to see my niece still lying on the couch, perfectly cocooned in the blanket. She was awake now, and asked me “did you hear that too?” At this point I was a little freaked out, but I explained to her that the noise was probably the wind outside knocking twigs off the tree onto the roof. She didn’t seem worried about it at all, and, since it was the middle of the afternoon, I stopped feeling creeped out.

We went into the kitchen so I could get lunch ready, and she crawled under the table to get her doll that had somehow managed to end up under there. While she was down there she started making a raspy noise, almost like a quack but not like how kids will say “quack” when they’re imitating ducks. She did this a few times, and still hadn’t come out from under the table. So I asked her “Are you being a silly little duck?” She stopped for a second and stuck her head out from under the table and asked what I said. I repeated, “Are you a cute little silly duck, quacking under there?” She calmly looked at me and said “I’m not quacking”. “Well then what noise are you making if it’s not a quack?” She shrugged her shoulders and said “I’m making the same noise as the boy.” “What boy?” I asked. “The boy under the table. He keeps making that noise and going like this” to which she starts touching her throat. A huge chill went up my spine as she made that noise when my brain made the connection - she was mimicking choking. She was imitating a little boy who appeared to be choking under the table. The same table under which I had felt something touch my leg not even an hour earlier.

I pulled her out from under the table and told her we were going to go to the park until it was time to pick up her siblings, and we stayed out all day until their parents got back and I have NEVER even stepped foot back in that house. I was very relieved when they moved a couple years ago.