I’ve always had a wide ranging interest in cars - I’ve been a longtime reader of Classic and Sports Car, which tends to be a “broad church” sort of publication (everyone’s welcome). But about fifteen years ago or so my tastes started getting more eclectic and to an extent obscure - previously I was mostly into old sports cars and muscle cars, and not much else - because I started learning more.

About that time I had a job in a bookstore and started buying car books with my discount. It started with an expensive reissue of Bill Boddy’s excellent tome about Brooklands, followed with his similar book about aero engined pre-war racing cars. A copy of Griffith Borgeson’s Miller biography came next, and then his history of prewar American racing cars. Around this time The Rodder’s Journal became available at my store (issue 13, if memory serves), and plenty of books about hot rod and custom car history started to come home with me. I also started getting any of the Original series of books - these are detailed restorer’s guides to individual models, are illustration heavy, and I think I have like thirty of them. At the same time things circled back a bit and I discovered early American sports car racing - early street races in places like Watkins Glen, Elkhart Lake, and Torrey Pines - and I bought a few books about the Can-Am and Trans-Am racing series. And stock car racing. And drag racing. This is before we get into car- adjacent topics, like gas stations (I have at least two books about them), drive in theaters and restaurants, beverage delivery vehicles (yes, really), automobilia...

It’s turned into a habit, trying to find out or see something new. I went to the Lane last year and was on a three day high afterward.