I’ve got three:

1 ) Wash the car. A lot. Snow is generally white, and clean, and beautiful as it falls from the sky. Within seconds it gets dark and nasty on the road with exhaust, tires and road grime and within hours your car is covered in dull grey sticky grime. When I used to do a long daily commute for work (~75-80 miles each way), I demanded that my car got washed every day so I could see out my windows and my lights were bright and useful instead of a dull, useless glow.

2) Check your tire pressures. And run plenty of it. Even though it’s always cold in northern New England in the winter months, swings of 40 degrees between 20 degree days and sub-10 below nights mean a difference of roughly 5 pounds of pressure under the best of conditions. I have good luck running max pressure right at freezing temperatures and absolutely making sure pressures are even side-to-side. This is important if you run all-season tires, but especially with the stiff sidewalls of snow tires because they’ll look fine at rest but flex at speeds while turning when you can least afford it.

3) Keep your distances. Even if you’re driving well, surprises will happen. Keeping longer distances between you and other drivers give you critical distances to save yourself if something suddenly goes wrong in your car or the others around you.

Wait. Make that four –

4) Clean all the damn snow off the car. Not just the windows, but the roof, hood and rear deck too. Using highway speeds to clean off your car only blocks your windows and is a risk to the drivers around you.