I’ve done a few in the 6000-7000 mile range by now, but the most impressive was for my 40th birthday. I decided to cross the number one item of my bucket list: the Nürburgring. In my own car.

I had my car shipped to Liverpool, England. I spent a couple of days In the UK, which included a lap of the old Top Gear track in the C’eed. (1:48.25, if you’re curious.)

I then went up to Holyhead for the ferry to Ireland. After a week there, I came back across the ferry, drove across the UK, got on the train at Folkestone, and took the Eurotunnel over to Calais.

I kept on moving west through Brussels, into Germany, and spent a week at Adenau. Every afternoon, I’d fill up the fuel tank, and run the ‘Ring.

After that, I spent another week exploring Germany with my dad, who’d flown over for a week.

We made it as far east as Berlin. The following week, I drove down to Rome, by way of Maranello. I came back through France, stopping at Monaco, Cadillac, and Le Mans.

After a visit to Omaha Beach, I came back through the Eurotunnel, and brought my car to Southampton for the return trip to the United States.

Overall, I put 6,800 miles on the car in Europe over 40 days, visited eight countries, and drove the Monaco circuit (in traffic), parts of the Le Mans circuit (in traffic), the Nordschleife and the GP-Strecke, as well as Dunsfold park.