I do not recommend the following to anyone. It was dangerous, and by the end I had no business being on the road. That being said...

I drive between Miami and New York City pretty regularly. Spend a lot of summer vacations down there, and always prefer to drive because the solitude of the road is really relaxing to me. It’s about 1250 miles and 21 hours or so total, depending on traffic. Ordinarily, I’ll take a nap in the car or get a motel room somewhere in the Carolinas to sleep for a few hours. About five years ago, my sister was down there vacationing with me, and had to get a 7 a.m. flight out to get to work. So after dropping her off at the airport at 5:30 a.m. in Miami, I figured... why not? I can do this in a straight shot.

I did not stop for anything but gas and pee breaks. I got on I-95 and set the cruise control 5 mph above the speed limit, because I was driving a Porsche Cayman with New York plates and I’m not that dumb. I did not eat anything because I didn’t want to have any, um, longer bathroom breaks. Other than a slowdown for a massive rain storm in South Carolina where everybody had to go down to 20 mph for safety, I made great time.

As for me, I was totally fine until I passed D. C. and got to the Baltimore area. By then, it was around 10 p.m. and I was starting to get tired. I’d woken up around 3 a.m. to get my sister to the airport, and I was starting to drag. About halfway through New Jersey, I realized that I was too exhausted to safely continue driving. But I was so close to home! I told myself I could make it.

Going across the old Goethals Bridge - - which was too narrow for the two lanes of traffic it ran in each direction - - I was basically hallucinating. I straddled the center median because there was just no way I could stay in one of those super-narrow lanes. In the BQE I was going about 20 mph and getting hobbled at by taxis. I finally got to my apartment in Brooklyn around 2:30 a.m. the next day. Those last hundred miles or so, I was more dangerous than a drunk driver. I will never do it again.

I still do long stretches of single day driving. A couple of years ago I made it from Brooklyn to Los Angeles in 3 1/2 days, dawdled around out west, and then took only two days getting back from Denver on the return. But I have a limit now of 900 miles per day, and I’d I start to feel exhausted, I pull over to sleep, even if it’s just in my car for a bit.