I’ve had some decent ones, including driving nonstop from Connecticut to Tampa for a friend’s wedding and a seven day trip last year that included about a half dozen national parks, jumping desert trucks in Vegas, and an old VW paperweight on a uhaul trailer, but probably my best was when my friend and I did an epic four week cross country trip for Oregon Trail Rally.

My friend was just getting back to the States after two years of teaching in Korea, so we decided to celebrate by doing a giant road trip. Unfortunately we had to scale it down from the original plan (a full lap of the country), but it was still pretty massive. I started out solo from my home in MA, driving to Seattle in five days (and spending three of my first four nights sleeping in the back of my car).

On the way out I got to see Mt Rushmore, Jewel Cave, the South Dakota Badlands (easily one of the five most incredible places I’ve ever been), Grand Coulee Dam, bison, prairie dogs, and antelope. Once in Seattle I also got to visit some friends at Dirt Fish.

After picking up my friend we spent a few days exploring the caves, trails, and waterfalls of the Washington/Oregon coast before we had to go to the rally and I had to actually do work.

We arrived at the rally on day 11 of the trip. I was co-driving a white WRX hatch for a driver named Kris Psara. It went well and we left with hardware.

Day 15 saw us back on the road as we camped the next few days, first in the bottom of Snake River Canyon, then an OHV campground in Utah, and finally at Dinosaur National Monument (the only pay campsite of the trip). Along the way we hit the Bonneville Salt Flats (which ended up being closed because they were filming Independence Day 2) and got a tour of a buddy’s race shop in Utah.

Once we got east of Denver the days and miles kind of blurred together. Kansas, Missouri, a collection of states starting with the letter I, until finally we reached Niagara Falls on day 22, where we splurged and got a room with a view of the falls (also a super fancy steak dinner). Two days later we were back home in Massachusetts.

But Massachusetts is boring so we went to Washington DC instead. Finally on day 26 she flew home to Texas and I drove back to Mass (after a visit to the Air and Space Museum).

All in all a pretty okay trip.