In 1969-1971 I lived in Monterey, CA, and got to see Trans-Am and Can-Am races at Laguna Seca. IIRC, the drivers involved included folks like Mark Donohue, A.J. Foyt, Dan Gurney, Mario Andretti, Bruce McLaren, Dennis Hulme, John Surtees, etc.

I was so overwhelmed by seeing all these great cars and drivers that I really don’t remember many details, but two things stand out. First, most folks wanted to watch the action at the Corkscrew. As dramatic as that was, I liked to watch from the other side of the hill where you could see the cars scream around the fastest part of the track. I was mesmerized by the sound of big racing V8s (7 liters in the Can-Am cars, I seem to recall) thundering past. Anyone who was not thrilled by that experience had a hole in their soul. Second, the Mclaren Can-Am team prepared its cars at the local BMC dealer. I was able to walk around to the back of the dealership after business hours and see Bruce McLaren’s and Denny Hulme’s cars being prepared in ordinary dealership service bays. There were no barriers, security guards, etc., I did not get near enough to interfere, so I was ignored.

Racing has had several “Golden Ages,” but i like to think that I was able to see a little of one of them.