I saw this post at work but I haven’t had time to reply until just now.

This past summer my younger brother and I imported a Honda Beat together from Japan. It all stemmed from the question, “if they can do it, why can’t we?” We spent several months researching laws, export procedures, prices, shipping lines, import laws and registration practices. Eventually we settled on Japan Car Direct as our exporter (they are a great company that I would recommend in heartbeat), and we set about finding a suitable car. No matter how much research you’ve done, nothing can quite prepare you for buying a car based on two grainy photos and a brief description.

Still, we won our desired car, which had an aftermarket hard top and a spoiler that we liked. It ended up being super clean. When it got to America, my brother and I completed all the paperwork ourselves and drove to the port with my dad to pick it up. The full story is much longer, and maybe I’ll do a write up someday, but long story short we went through the entire process without a hitch, got the car registered, enjoyed it throughout the summer and the fall, then sold it on BAT to its new owner who loves it as much as I did. Now I’m working on finding an Acty for my parents this year. Hopefully the Beat was just one of many more imports in the future.