Mostly transportation-related, in no particular order...

• Uber/Lyft has pretty much negated this issue, but it’s still worth pointing out...don’t count on catching a cab from anywhere but the airport, near hotels, or strategic locations on major streets. If you’re west of Divisidero, forget it. I lived in the Inner Sunset for 2 years and I saw maybe 5 cabs the whole time.
  • The BART runs pretty much on schedule, but Muni is a shitshow. If you do take Muni, use the bathroom first. Nothing worse than sitting on the N-Judah under Buena Vista Park for 45 minutes after 2 cups of coffee.
  • When on the train/bus, never make eye contact; never engage.
  • If you bike, stay away from the Muni tracks. They are killers. If you must cross a track, do so perpendicularly, or you will pay for it. I took a chance once and limped away with 2 broken ribs and a concussion.
  • Bring a sweater/coat everywhere. The cliché about SF microclimates is a cliché for a reason. The temperature can change drastically throughout the day, especially if you’re moving around. If you think you can head out for drinks after work, wearing only what you had on during the day, you’re going to have a bad time.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Silicon Valley is remarkably accurate.