Oh boy do I have a good one.

My wife and I were riding motorcycles out to meet some friends at a campsite out in the boonies late at night. We both had Waze up on our phones and were blindly following it’s instructions as we had no idea where we were going. As the miles tick down we go from the highway to local main roads, to local back roads, and all along the way everything seems normal.

Then we turn on to a very steep dirt road and we start to think something is wrong. But hey, maybe the dirt road is the access road to the campsite? Waze says we’re only a mile or two away from the campsite so that sort of makes sense so we keep going, riding deeper and deeper into the woods on this muddy dirt road in the middle of the night on a pair of street bikes. Next Waze takes us past a “Driveway” sign, which we thought was odd but Waze says we’re only a couple hundred feet away so it must be right. We ride a few seconds more and come to a halt at the end of the route...right in front of someone’s house. So that’s definitely wrong. We stop to think for a minute, and then not wanting to keep our headlights shining at this person’s windows at night we turn the bikes around (this takes a while because we’re on a narrow dirt driveway on bikes loaded up for a weeklong trip), pull up Google Maps, and set off again...

...For about 300 feet. Google Maps takes us back to the driveway sign, and tells us we’ve arrived. This is definitely wrong, so this time we input the address of the campground rather than the name and try a third time. Google Maps tells us we’re a few miles off, which sounds plausible, so off we go again...

...For about a quarter mile. As we’re rounding a bend in the road a police car rolls over a rise just ahead of us with lights on. As soon as they see us they swerve across the road and stop, blocking our lane. We stop, and they hit us with the spotlights before getting out of the car and telling us to get off the bikes. We take off the helmets and earplugs just in time for the officers to tell us to move our bikes into a driveway a little ways down so we don’t block traffic. So the helmets go back on, we ride the bikes over to where we’re told, the helmets come back off, and we start fishing in pockets for wallets, still not sure why we were pulled over in the first place.

It turns out one of our riding buddies had the same error earlier in the evening and had stopped in front of the same house for a few minutes while he figured out what was wrong. According to the cops when we showed up a few hours later the homeowner thought a biker gang was coming to rob the house so he grabbed his gun and called the cops. (Side note, my wife rides a Ninja 300 and me a CB500X. Hardly biker gang material). “Are you aware he had a gun on you” was somehow both a terrifying and paradoxically comical question in our exhausted state. Good thing we didn’t go up to the house and ask for directions or that would have been a very short vacation.