Like most of my good stories, this one comes from my days of S2000 ownership. Additionally, this one also involves wildlife, but in a distinctly different manner.

Heading home from a local car meet one night, I’m cruising with the top down and enjoying the lack of other cars on the road. As I wind down the riverside road at a reasonable pace (residential area, so I’m not gunning it), I hear a light thump on the windshield. Didn’t think much of it at the time and didn’t see anything on the windshield itself to indicate that I hit anything, so I finished my drive home. As I pulled into the garage and became bathed in the overhead light, I spot something out of the corner of my eye. The little thump did indicate that I hit something, as evidenced by the non-moving bat laying on the passenger seat. I was, in a flash, no longer in the car.

I’m not huge on small flying critters that may or may not be a vampire here to consume my blood. So I was at a bit of a loss as to what I should do. Do I just pick it up and throw it in the trash? Do I go open the door to the house and let my dog come grab it? Do I just toss a match and tell my insurance company that it was the act of some no-good rapscallions?

As I pondered the tough questions in my life while sitting in the furthest corner of my garage, I started hearing a slight pattering sound coming from the cabin of the Honda. I braced myself and walked over to the passenger side door. No sooner did I walk up that the damn bat started full-on flapping around. It was obviously terrified and in distress (as was I at this point). Finally after about 30 seconds of abject horror on both of our parts, it stopped. Then it just briefly stared at me with cold, hate-filled eyes, flew out of the car and out the garage door.