HANDMAID’S TALE SPOILERS DON’T READ IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN IT AND WANT TO OR JUST DON’T CARE AT ALL!!!!!

Anyone else seen the first three eps of The Handmaid’s Tale and want to discuss? I have so many FEELINGS about that last ep in particular.

Ofglen/Emily’s (Alexis Bledel) end sequences keep running through my brain and I can’t stop them. The trial, the van ride, THE CRANE, that last scene in the medical ward with Aunt Lydia. I just...it was so good, but I am SO DISTURBED. It’s been sitting with me since Wednesday like a fucking PTSD flashback and I think it’s going to take me weeks to shake it. I think it’s because you know there are people, POWERFUL people, in this country who would do any and all of this shit if they could get away with it. Like, today, if they could. SHUDDERING FOREVER.

And while Moss is great and the entire cast is great, Bledel has stolen the show for me. I don’t know what else we’re going to see from Ofglen, if anything, but I was just so moved by her performance and those sequences...it’s forever changed how I view her as an actress. I hope there’s more from here in the remaining episodes.

As for the rest of it, I just LOVE what they’ve done to update the novel and make it so much nearer to our everyday lives - it ups the horror factor because, again, this could TOTALLY happen. I find myself walking the streets of San Francisoc, where I live, and I see a gay couple or a girl sauntering along the street wearing next-to-nothing (no judgment whatsoever, it’s just something that happens regularly here), and suddenly the thought flashes across my mind—would a theocracy like Gilead be able to take root here, of all places? The tech capital of the world! The city of free love and rose wine and fucking creme brulee carts on every corner! Could it happen here?

The answer, I think, horrifyingly, is yes.

What did you think?