tl;dr I spent a few days of my time and several hundred dollars between replacing the flat tire/repairing a damaged wheel, the cab, and the rental for a distant job interview that didn’t get me a job.

The part where I got stuck on the side of the road wasn’t terrible, I guess. It was everything that happened around it that ended up being worse.

The fiancee (now wife) and I had plans to move to a neighboring state and I was driving to an interview for a job 5 hours away at the new spot.

First thing that went wrong: I got a flat tire halfway there because of a massive pothole. My car had runflats, I had no spare, and the sidewall had blown open so it couldn’t be repaired. This was also on a Sunday, so no shops nearby were open that could potentially have an appropriate replacement tire. I had the car towed back closer to home because I needed to be back at work the day after the interview and so that I could potentially pick up my car on my drive back home.

Second thing that went wrong: The tow took about an hour to get there and the cab to take me to the nearest rental car place (about an hour away, and out of the way for that matter) followed 45 minutes after, it was late.

By the time I got to my rental car, I was already about 3 hours off schedule. I ended up getting to the city where my interview was about 5 hours late. Fortunately, the interview was the next day so it didn’t matter.

Third thing that went wrong: I had my interview and was on my way out of town when I got a call letting me know that I didn’t get the job. :(

Fourth thing that went wrong: Traffic heading home made it such that I couldn’t pick up my car on my way home either. I got home late so I showered up, went to sleep, and went to work the next day with my rental car.

Fifth thing that went wrong: After work, I drove the hour or so away to where my car was towed to and dropped off the rental car at a branch location there and called a cab to take me to where my car was. I was told a cab would be there soon, but it didn’t show up for another ~40 minutes. I just wanted to get my car, go home, and wrap up these crappy few days, man.

All things considered, I spent a couple days of my time and several hundred dollars between replacing the flat tire/repairing a damaged wheel, the cab, and the rental for a job interview that didn’t get me a job.

Things came around for me though. I later interviewed for and got a job with another company in the city we were moving to that I’m very happy with. Also, that first job I interviewed for likely ended up being cut as the company laid off a bunch of workers in that department and it’s seen a number of restructuring efforts in that department since I had that interview too. I’m not happy that other people lost their jobs, but you could say I potentially dodged a bullet.

I now keep a full size spare tire/wheel and tools to swap it out if needed when I take long road trips.