Since everyone asks when I tell this story I’ll say it in advance: yes this really happened.

I had moved into my current house around the same time that I took a new job. The obvious route for my new commute was Southbound on 93 into Boston, a.k.a. How Everyone North of The City Gets to Work.

I decided to take my outrageously well maintained Subaru STi to work my first day instead of my beater Grand Cherokee. I’m sitting in stop and go traffic on the highway and I happen to look in my rear view mirror. Behind me, a woman is craning her neck to look in the mirror to put on her makeup as she inches forward.

On my previous commute I had gotten to a point with road rage where I had to pull over a couple times because I honestly thought I was going to have a stroke. I never attacked anyone or anything like that, but I got to a point where I was completely raged out and screaming in my car. I did learn my lesson and I made a conscious and successful effort to calm down and just take things as they came.

So, I said to myself, “if this woman rear ends my nice car because she is putting on makeup while driving, I’m literally going to kill her. There is no way I can take this in stride. I need to do something to head off this situation before it becomes a problem.” So I change lanes into the second lane. The right lane is moving faster and she passes me and goes on her way.

I shit you not: no more than 1/2 mile down the road I spot two cars pulled over in the breakdown lane. It’s her, and she had rear ended someone.

I never took 93 to work again. I found back roads. It may have taken a little longer but my sanity is worth a couple of extra minutes.