A few stories my wife has, the good, the bad, and the crazy, plus one of my own:

The Good:

Shortly after 9/11, she was routinely flying from Raleigh, NC to Albany, NY, often via Boston. It got to the point that the gate agents knew her by sight.

One day, as she went to check in, she was pulled aside at the gate for additional screening. She (gently) protested, and was told that they had to screen someone on every flight, and she was it. She said she gets that, but why her, to which she was told again she’s it.

She *WAS* “it”. That is, she was the only passenger on the 100-odd passenger CRJ regional jet. She sat up front with the stewardess, more hanging out than anything else. US Airways lost a bundle running that flight - I presume they needed the aircraft repositioned and had to run it anyway.

The Bad:

She was flying JetBlue, Charlotte to JFK as I recall. Upon arrival, she told her dad (who’s a commercial aviation nut) that the plane took two major drops during the flight that she said were 1000 feet. He, of course, said no way, it’s not possible.

Then he went on FlightAware and looked up her flight. That’s where he found that they weren’t 1000 foot drops... they were 13,000 and 11,000 feet, respectively.

On her return trip, late in the following day, the weather was forecast to be what I’ll kindly call “unpleasant”. She got to the gate, and asked the agent how rough it was going to be. In doing so, she mentioned she’d been on that previous flight. That’s when a nearby captain for the airline happened to overhear, and entered the conversation. He told her that they had heard about that flight, and that she would do best to choose to be bumped to a flight the following morning instead of getting on that evening’s.

The Crazy:

Raleigh to Charlotte on a CRJ. They were late to push back, and the pilot said they were going to make up time.

He wasn’t kidding. She timed it: 18 minutes gate to gate. It’s roughly 120 nautical miles (https://skyvector.com/?ll=35.546380843154914,-79.86822509143381&chart=301&zoom=4&fpl=%20KRDU%20GUSES%20V409%20LIB%20V454%20GIZMO%20KCLT) so gate to gate averaged 400 knots. If just two minutes were spent taxiing on each end, that’s an average of 514 knots. Three minutes each end, 600 knots average. With the 250 knot limit under 10,000 feet... well, it was impressive.

Finally, one of my own... that involves our own Jason Torchinsky, as it were:

I’m a private pilot; Jason was interested in doing a story about flying privately. We met one evening at my flying club, in Sanford, NC. I was doing a night recurrency flight, so we got all set to go, to the point of taking the runway and accelerating to flying speed... when it got REALLY dark. The landing light went out just as we lifted off.

Now that’s technically legal to fly; one of the things that you practice on the way to a pilot’s license is a no-light landing.

I immediately chopped power, decelerated, and pulled off the runway. On the taxi back, the light came on and went back off several times.

After we shut down, I could have chosen to take a different club plane, but just wasn’t feeling at the top of my game. Rather than take another 1/2 hour to secure that bird and preflight another, I chose to call it a night.

I *did* get to drive Jason’s Beetle, though. Like my club Warrior, it too is a horizontally-opposed, air-cooled four-cylinder vehicle...

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/i-drove-torchs-beetle-1633410430