1991 Ferrari Testarossa. This was the car on my wall as a kid (well, an ‘86 was). I even had found one in white. I even had the cash to buy it outright.

At the end of the day, reflecting on the drive, the dynamics, and trying to put my head around the TCO for the long haul, it didn’t make sense. The conclusion is it was a car that was very good for what it was in its day, and that was being an image car. It is not for backroads. It’s for being seen in.

The seating position and ergonomics of the controls are a bit weird. It’s very wide, and although the suspension and chassis was good for 30 years ago, it left a lot to be desired compared to something even 10 years newer. Because of its width it’s not something you feel comfortable pushing hard on narrow New England backroads. Materials are good but fit and finish isn’t amazing, and typical issues like leather on the dash warping out of shape (and needing to be redone) is something you can’t avoid. There’s also the iffy diff that needs replacing with one from a 512TR. Major engine services simply aren’t cheap, they aren’t cheap to run, very pricey parts, and simply leaving it out in the rain could leave you with a no-start situation.

Neat for its day. A good car to be seen in whilst driving in traffic. That’s it. There are better cars for backroads. There are far cheaper Ferraris to run. That’s why when I looked they were as cheap as they were, and even now they’re still pretty damn cheap. It made no sense for many reasons.