Well...here’s mine...sort of...

I once stole a pickup. I didn’t mean to. And I learned something about it after the fact. I lived in a (relatively) small town. At the time, I owned a 1994 Ford Ranger, Regular Cab, XLT, Short Wide Bed, 4 Cylinder, 5 Speed Manual. It was a great truck. One night, late, I left Wal-mart where I had been shopping. I walked out to my truck, unlocked the door, hopped in, fired it up, and drove off. It was really dark outside. I’m going down the road, and something about the truck just seems “off.” I finally pull into a parking lot and really start LOOKING at the truck. The dash was wrong. It wasn’t the grey interior of my truck. It was tan. I got out of the truck. It was the right exterior color. That’s when I realized...I’d stolen someone else’s truck. Other than the interior, it was exactly like mine. I immediately drove back to the Wal-mart, freaking out. I went into the service desk and had them page for the owner with that license plate. The owner met me at the desk, I explained what had happened, and we went out so I could demonstrate that my key worked on their Ranger too. Come to find out, Ford recycles their key sets for vehicles. The keys for my particular ‘94 Ranger also worked with their ‘95 Ford Ranger. Apologies were made all around. No harm, no foul.

Now...here’s a “wish it’d gotten stolen” side. My wife forced me to buy her a 2006 PT Cruiser. I hated that car. I once left it on a bad side of town, up in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, with the doors unlocked, windows rolled down, and the keys laying on the driver’s side seat. I left for a couple of hours. I came back, and the stupid car was still there. To make matters even worse...there were three more sets of keys to PT Cruisers laying with mine.. (That’s not a true story...but it ought to be :D )